Sunday, January 13, 2008

Musicality of 2007

Time for a music review!

My taste of music is ever evolving. Lately I find myself delving into the depths of the indie/British rock, post-punk revival, folk, jazz, and some other indescribable music genres. For me Keane is still number one, and hopefully the album no. 3 that will be released in September '08 won't fail to retain my interest.


Here's a list of who and what has been playing on my iTunes lately.


1. Keane Like I said, they're still numero uno. Although I have to admit I've gotten bored of most of their songs, The Night Sky, and Under The Iron Sea classic Try Again are constant plays on my iTunes.


2. Mark Ronson Say hello to this genius DJ/Producer! DJ? House music/dance/electronica? Not quite. He tried a different approach, namely funk, for his new album Version. Key tracks: Oh My God (feat. Lily Allen), Valerie (feat. Amy Winehouse).


3. Arctic Monkeys You and I may now know what the vocalist bloke says, but I have to say, their music is AWESOME!!! No wonder their latest album, Favourite Worst Nightmare, received 5 star rating from The Rolling Stone magazine. Key tracks: Fluorescent Adolescent, D Is For Dangerous.


4. Maroon 5 They spent 5 years in contemplation and now they're back with a vengeance! It Won't Be Soon Before Long is 100000000x times so much better than it's predecessor, Songs About Jane. Prince should be proud of these guys! Love love love: If I Never See Your Face Again, Little Of Your Time.


5. Michael Buble Who doesn't love this heartbreaker boy with his dashing good looks and his sexy sultry voice? He makes old classics sound new again. And his originals are not that bad either! Call Me Irresponsible must listens: Comin' Home Baby (feat. Boyz II Men), Everything


6. Ghosts Never heard of em? They opened up for Keane in one of Keane's UTIS tour gig (somewhere in UK, I forgot where exactly). Their music is fresh and unique. Not a very big fan of electronica? So was I, but this band has converted me! Groovy tracks: The World Is Outside (also the title of their debut album), Stop.


7. KT Tunstall I wasn't a fan of folk music before I listen to her music. She has this raspy, rocky voice that'll get you going. I prefer her first album Eye To The Telescope, but her latest Drastic Fantastic is not bad at all. Catchy tunes: Hold On and I Don't Want You Now.


8. The Pigeon Detectives, Hard-Fi, Maximo Park Indie-rock attack!!! Hard-Fi and Maximo Park has been around for quite a while. The Pigeon Detectives are rookies, but that doesn't mean they are less interesting. Listen to Hard-Fi's Can't Get Along (Without You), Maximo Park's Girl Who Plays Guitar and The Pigeon Detectives' I Found Out.


9. Travis Their latest album maybe titled The Boy With No Name but this band's is no stranger to our ears (well, maybe to some of us it isn't). Ditch Coldplay, and make room for Travis. Fran Healy's voice is way better than Chris Martin's! Try listening to My Eyes and Under The Moonlight (feat. KT Tunstall!)

last but not least...


10. OST - Hairspray!!! Love the movie, love the music. Retro is in again! Hail newcomer Nikki Blonsky, with her sweet personality and spunk, plus her gorgeous voice. Good Morning Baltimore and The Nicest Kids In Town are my favourites.

Aiiiiii... all this music talk reminds me that tomorrow I'm getting a Creative Zen (
http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zen/)!!! *swoons*

2 comments:

fajar0791 said...

Finally I got to open this page! It took me a while to do that! Hehe..

Well, first of all, kudos to your blog! I love it, and though I've always wished to create one..I've just never got around to doing that..So...

Gotta love your music taste, steff! I, for one, love Mark Ronson (particularly his "Stop Me" song) but lately I've been into a lot of European-esque music, say...folky stuff like Kings of Convenience...or Feist. I love her music, I just bought her first album, "Let it Die"--what a great album.

As you might be aware of , I've also become a HUGE fan of dance/electronica music (credits to Channel V's "Club V" programme for enabling this to happen! he..he..) and I've found out some great French electronica artists (Telepopmusik, for sure, who scored a hit in 2003 with "Breathe") and also Emilie Simon...I love her. Great song and video for "Dame de Lotus"..
French DJ Stephane Pompougnac also has this great song called "Ghosts and Roses"...I love the "otherworldly" tune and sense of the song and its accompanying video..I don't, lately, I'm just so much into etheral beats..

And on that note, I've also developed a huge interest in world music (as you might as well be aware of), there's this great brass-band from Benin called the Gangbe Brass Band and their "Aou Whan" song...is simply magnificent! I don't know if you're into this kind of stuff, but I heard this track via BBC World Service (on the "Charlie Gillet's "world of music" programme, airs every Sunday at 2.30 AM--GMT +7 time, of course...)

For a bit mainstream taste, I've become a huge fan of Robyn (who's this month's "Spotlight" artist on Channel V)...What a great talent! Can't wait to get her latest album..


So that's all, steff..I hope you like it!

fajar0791 said...

I forgot to mention...do you know this British duo called Frou Frou? They received quite substantial airplay on MTV a few years back with "Must Be Dreaming" and "Breathe In". I'm such a huge fan of them.
And not to forget that Imogen Heap (another favorite artist of mine) was the vocalist of the band. Sadly, they disbanded in 2003 after just one album...

Anyway, I've also got to say that I love Maroon 5's latest single, "Won't Go Home Without You" and Michael Buble as well..
Glad that we both share similar taste...even just a bit. Hehe...